Engineering Management Trainee - ExternalTitle: Engineering Management Trainee - External
Location: United States
Important: This position start date is June 3, 2013.
Completes all necessary training requirements to be placed as a front line manager in the Engineering department (Roadmaster In Training, Communication/Signals Manager, Project/Construction Engineer, Bridge Inspector/Manager, etc). Coordination of work and schedules of contractors and company forces, implementing corrective actions as necessary to complete projects/work assignments in a safe, timely, and efficient manner while monitoring costs, inspection and final approval of work. Primary focus is enhancement of safety for CSXT, contractor employees and the traveling public. Front line management positions are focused and measured on safety performance and on-time operations within assigned subdivisions.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities:
* Manage safe and efficient work conditions. Drive for steady improvement in safety in all engineering operations.
* Efficiently plan work and allocate resources to ensure timely accomplishment of tasks/projects for self, contractors and/or unionized workforce.
* Conduct quality assurance inspections, efficiency and operational tests of contractors and/or unionized workforce.
* Effective utilization of performance management and inter personal skills to ensure timely feedback and coaching as required to maintain discipline and improve performance of contractors and/or employees.
* Effectively communicate across departments, sub departments and public entities to build rapport and address operational demands
* Apply learning to develop into an Engineering front line manager within one (1) year by building proficiency in all technical and functional requirements.
* Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
* Bachelors degree from an accredited institution required to be complete by June 03, 2013
* 2 months or more of non-supervisory experience required in Construction, Engineering, Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Military, or related field
* Certifications/Licenses: Valid Driver''s License
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications:
* Associates degree from an accredited institution required in Engineering or a related Technical Trades/Technology to be complete by June 03, 2013
* 1 or more years of non-supervisory experience required in Construction, Engineering, Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Military, or related field
* Certifications/Licenses: Valid Driver''s License
In addition to meeting the above qualifications, either of the following profiles are preferred:
* Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Sciences/Management, Electronics/Electronic Technology
* 2 months or more of supervisory experience in Construction, Engineering or Rail Operations
* Certifications/Licenses: Engineer in Training
Knowledge and Skills:
* Engineering knowledge including but not limited to construction methods, surveying, and structural maintenance.
* People leadership and team building skills
* Time management, organizational and effective planning skills to achieve work deadlines and commitments of self and others
* Project Management skills
* Computer skills to include Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD/Microstation
* Ability to learn customized CSX operational software
* Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization both in written and oral format
* Ability to work autonomously/take initiative to drive learning and ensure training goals are achieved
* Ability to work well in a fast paced, 24/7 operational environment
Ability to read and understand construction/engineering drawings, schematics and/or specifications
* Ability to inspect, test and perform preventative maintenance on equipment/infrastructure
The CSX Competency Framework is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following competencies: analyze issues and make effective decisions, advance the business, engage, coach, and build a diverse workforce, build partnerships, improve service quality and processes, execute effectively, demonstrate personal leadership, and demonstrate functional and technical agility.
* Up to 75% travel required during training period. After training, typically 10% travel required.
* Wear protective equipment such as welding shields, hard hat, hearing protection, steel-toe boots, work boots, safety vest, gloves, face shield and safety glasses.
* Work hours may vary in length and schedule. Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek and various shift work.
* Individuals holding this job will be required to relocate upon completion of training.
* Work hours may include on call 7 days a week, 24 hours per day, with extended periods of time away from home.
* Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol.
* The applicant selected for this position will be required to successfully complete a background check and physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
* Work inside an office environment and outside in all weather conditions at various times.
* Work at elevated heights, in certain instances in excess of 100 feet.
* Work with equipment that intensifies the heat factor.
* Work with hazardous materials on an occasional basis.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers, and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers, and the communities.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia, and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation (CSXT) is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT''s primary focus is the operation, maintenance, and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX two of the company''s core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.