Do you know anyone who is never happy with the present moment? They always are complaining about something. They claim they will be really happy when certain things happen. After getting to know this person, you see a pattern developing. It sounds something like this:
They will only be happy when they:
- meet “that someone special.”
- get a new job.
- go on vacation.
- get married.
- have their first child.
- send their kid of to pre-school.
- send their kid off to college.
- they finish paying for their kid’s college tuition.
- they get that new car.
- they retire.
Appreciate the Now
You get the picture. They just can’t be happy because they have lost touch with getting real joy from the present moment. They just don’t know how to appreciate living in the now.
It is not easy to live in and fully appreciate the present moment. There are so many factors pulling at your attention and on your time. There is email, phone calls, customers, significant others, children, parents, pets and the list go on and on. What’s a person to do?
A Few Suggestions for Happiness
In order to get control of your life and really appreciate the present moment, you need to create new rules for living each day. Here are a few suggestions to take back the control you need to lead a more fulfilling life and happy life in the present:
- Before you go to bed write out six things you want to accomplish the next day.
- Upon awakening the next morning, sit up in bed and for one full minute, think of three things for which you are thankful.
- As you greet your significant other simply focus in on their face and voice.
- When you eat breakfast, take a few moments and concentrate on enjoying the aroma and taste.
- Instead of watching television read a good book.
- Instead of doing three things at once, try doing just one.
You can add many more things to this list of suggestions. The key is to start out slow and don’t try to do it all at once. The main thing is to stay focused and do one thing at a time. This will allow you to slow down your mind and take full advantage of living in the present moment. That is where true happiness is; in the now.
If you are interested in a better career in administration visit www.administrativejobs.com
Tom Borg is president of Tom Borg Consulting, LLC. He is a business consultant, speaker, coach and author. He shows companies and organizations how to attract and retain more clients and customers.